The Idaho State Law Library was established in 1869 under an Idaho territorial statue that included a $500 appropriation for the purchase of law books.
Currently located at the Idaho Law & Justice Learning Center, the Law Library operates under the joint management of the Idaho Supreme Court and the University of Idaho College of Law.
As a result of this collaboration, library patrons have access to a greatly enhanced collection of print and electronic research tools. The print collection consists of 30,000 volumes housed at the Learning Center, with another 90,000 volumes in accessible offsite storage. Four public computer terminals provide access to a variety of research databases. We are continually updating our collection to provide more and better access to legal information.
The Idaho State Law Library is open to the public. Although primarily a research library, limited lending is available for Idaho judges and attorneys, members of the Idaho State Bar, and University of Idaho law students and faculty.
We provide access to legal information in a variety of formats, including books, periodicals, pamphlets, and electronic resources. Click here to learn more about our collection and reference services.
The primary mission of the Idaho State Law Library is to assist the Idaho Supreme Court in carrying out its responsibility for the administration of justice in the state and to help increase the public’s access to and understanding of the court system. This mission is accomplished by acquiring and maintaining appropriate legal resources; promulgating policies and rules for the use of these materials; and regularly reviewing the programs, policies and services of the library to ensure that they meet the current and future needs of the Court and other library patrons.